Are you at peak performance?
Performance is typically thought of in relation to athletic ability, but in reality it can encompass multi facets including cognitive, digestive, emotional, athletic, and rest/recovery. This month we will be focusing on all aspects of performance to provide you tools to boost your performance in each area.
Food for thought…your cognitive prowess is significantly impacted by the foods you choose. The brain and its protective covering (the myelin sheath) are comprised of 60-70% fat, thus the need for consumption of essential fatty acids is vital to our daily thought process. While the brain may be structurally made up of fat, its primary fuel source comes from carbohydrates. Our brain’s efficiency is determined by what type of carbohydrate foods we consume. Carbs have a dual function; they act as an energy source as well as being the most initial component for most reactions in the body. During a day, about ¾ of the carbs consumed are used to fuel the brain. The brain requires a steady input of carbohydrates since it is unable to store large amounts of carbs throughout the day. No wonder we feel sleepy and slow during the day if we skip meals. Being able to maintain peak cognitive performance throughout the day requires a steady flow of nutrient and fluid intake.
In honor of July 4th.. .let the fireworks of flavor explode with this week’s recipe, Salmon Croquettes with Avocado Lime Dressing. This recipe is designed to include all the basic nutrients your brain needs to reach its peak performance.
Salmon Croquettes with Avocado Lime Dressing
Serves 6 (12 patties)
1 large sweet potato, cooked, cooled and mashed
½ cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup packed chopped Italian parsley
2 tablespoons shallots, minced
Zest of one lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
5 (5oz) packets of skinless, boneless Pink Salmon
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ ripe medium avocado
¾ cup packed fresh cilantro
½ cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon agave or honey
½ teaspoon salt
270 calories, 10g fat, 85mg cholesterol, 630mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 28g protein
1. In a large bowl, stir together mashed sweet potato, bread crumbs, parsley, shallots, lemon zest and juice, hot sauce and seasonings. Stir in egg and salmon; mix together just until blended.
2. Line a baking sheet or large plate with parchment paper. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop out evenly sized croquettes until you have twelve patties. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (you can also freeze the patties for future use).
3. While croquettes are chilling, prepare dressing. Place all ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth and set aside.
4. In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in medium high heat. Place six croquettes into skillet and cook for about 4 minutes or until golden brown. Gently flip and cook another 4 minutes. Place croquettes on baking sheet and warm (250 degrees) and repeat with remaining oil and croquettes.
5. Serve 2 croquettes over mixed green salad. Top with two tablespoons of dressing.