Dairy – More than Just for Healthy Bones
Let’s focus on dairy for just a moment.
Did you know….
Milk is an excellent source of 9 essential nutrients —including calcium, protein, potassium, plus
Vitamins A, B–12 and D. And with nine out of 10 adults missing essential nutrients in their diet, milk is definitely a great choice.
Milk, cheese, yogurts that retain their calcium. Foods with little or no calcium, such as cream cheese and butter, are not. Choose milk items that are fat–free or low–fat.
Three servings a day.
The calcium in dairy products are known to keep bones healthy and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. Recent studies also show that dairy products reduce the risk of heart disease, reduce blood pressure and even found to help people lose weight.
DAIRY QUICK TIPS:
- Drink milk with your meals
- Use milk instead of water when preparing hot cereals like oatmeal
- Use milk instead of water when preparing canned cream soups
- Top casseroles, entries or vegetable with shredded low–fat cheese
- Add a slice of low–fat cheese to sandwiches
- Top a baked potato with low–fat yogurt
- Make yogurt–based dips for dipping veggies
- Snack on low–fat yogurt
- Use milk or yogurt when making smoothies
ADDING DAIRY TO YOUR MENU:
All you need is three servings a day to reap the benefits. Try:
- Milk in your breakfast cereal
- A cup of yogurt or cheese sticks or cheddar cheese with whole wheat crackers for an afternoon snack
- Milk as a beverage with dinner
So this week, make sure you include a dairy product with every meal.